Social Capital
The handout about social capital was very confusing to me until I got to the examples of social capital. I was able to follow along after that.
I have to agree with the reasons listed as to why social capital is diminishing. I suffer from many of these symptoms. I watch television far too much; I very recently moved into my own room for the first time in sixteen years; and I don’t live on campus which means I have to commute every day. These are all reasons why I personally have become less active in social settings. When the opportunity comes up for something fun and social, I usually try to get involved, but this doesn’t always happen for reasons I usually deem to be beyond my control.
I also agreed with the techniques used by the mayor and aide in the fable. Starting children at younger ages in community service may make them more likely to be aware of their surroundings later on in life. If I had been told to participate in some sort of service benefiting the community at a young age, I might be more palpable to the idea now. Personally, I find it easier to do something that I’ve done before than something brand new to me, but, again, that’s just me.
I think that’s about it for now. Something could very easily come up in class. If we are talking about this in class tomorrow, which, I hope we are.
0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home