Week Seven
This week I worked with my mom and the other lady in her office, Tammy. They are getting ready for the next school year by comparing and looking at all of the different textbooks available. There are several companies who send textbooks to the schools on a trial basis. Mrs. Stipp is heading all of this up, and I believe she makes the ultimate decision as to whether or not they use a certain book. Companies send representatives with the book samples. I heard my mom and Mrs. Stipp discussing the quality of these representatives; apparently, many of these people are not well adept at presenting their materials. This doesn’t really surprise me because I don’t think most of these representatives have tried teaching kids using their particular textbook.
Anyway, I had to sort through the stacks of books that had come in since my mom and Tammy had somehow mixed them up and put them in the wrong boxes. It was tiresome work, especially at 7:30 in the morning, but I like sorting things. There seemed to be a lot of books for the younger grades, and several of these books were science or math related.
Later in the week, I helped my mom with planning the annual end of the school year picnic. I’ve been to the picnic before, and it usually has decent food. They typically give out prizes and have music playing, but it is kind of boring. Younger kids don’t like going to it because they don’t have much to do. I know, I was one of the younger kids once. This year, I think my mom is trying to give it a facelift. She had me look through a buy in bulk type of catalog with a bunch of party stuff. I was supposed to find items that would be good prizes for younger children. I had fun; there were sand dollars that you could buy in a basket of fifty at a time for a relatively good price. I found a lot of good stuff like that. Whether or not my mom will actually buy all of the things I picked out, I don’t know. I still had fun doing it. I also had to pick out games for kids to play. Three-legged races, fish in a pond, and a bean bag toss were a couple of the games suggested. I thought it would be nice to have hillbilly golf for the adults to play. If you don’t know what hillbilly golf is, you need to find out. It’s amazing. The picnic isn’t until May 24th, but I still plan on attending. It will be interesting to see a few of the things I picked out actually in use. I hope my ideas were helpful to my mom in planning the picnic; she told me they were. I also suggested that the workers at the picnic wear the same style of t-shirt to distinguish them from the crowd. I know that would make it easier to find someone if a question came up.
0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home